Watch Around Water
Ascot Vale Leisure Centre is a Watch Around Water facility. This program was developed by Aquatics & Recreation Victoria and Life Saving Victoria to:
- educate the public about adequate supervision
- encourage parent/guardians to take on this responsibility when visiting a public aquatic facility.
Therefore, the following safe supervision policies must be adhered to:
Children under 5 years old
- Will be issued a pink wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 5 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Maximum 1 parent / guardian to 2 children
- Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm's reach of the child at all times.
Children under 10 years old
- Children under 10 years old will not be admitted without an appropriate parent/guardian. The parent/guardian must be 16 years or over and adhere to all conditions of entry.
- Children under 10 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian while in the aquatic area of the centre.
- Maximum 1 parent / guardian to 4 children
- The parent/guardian must position himself or herself to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child.
Children 10 years and older
- For children 10 years and older, parents must use their knowledge of the child's swimming ability to determine the level of supervision required.
- Parent /guardians are not required to be present in the centre.
- Tell a staff member if you are a Non-Swimmer, we’re here to help!
- It’s ok to admit you are a non-swimmer, be recognised and survive
- Wear a water safety orange wrist band while in the water to be recognised by lifeguards
- Swim within safe depths according to your ability
- Never swim in deep water if you are a Non-Swimmer
- Be aware of drop zones in pools and abrupt depth change areas
- Swim with a friend or companion
If you wish to improve your swimming ability to be safe in and around water contact us.